|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
A Call for Deliberative Process around the University of Sydney Green Paper
Petition Background (Preamble):
1. The lack of participatory, deliberative engagement amongst staff, students and the wider university;
2. The document as formed already positions the University in particular ways which make meaningful engagement or progressing alternative views difficult;
3. The document itself, because of timing of release, lack of executive summary, length, vague and even contradictory content is an impediment to deliberative engagement.
• open (avoiding barriers to participation such as double-speak, vague or contradictory language);
• inclusive (representatives from all facets and levels of University life);
• accountable and transparent (staff and students must understand how feedback and concerns are addressed and incorporated);
• dialogical (beyond “tokenistic” participation or consultation to collaborative reasoning in which stakeholders become aware of each others’ positions).
We recognize that a genuinely deliberative process may require taking a step back from the Green Paper itself, and call on the University Executive to take this bold move if necessary.
The A Call for Deliberative Process around the University of Sydney Green Paper petition to The University of Sydney Executive was written by Laura Beth Bugg and is in the category Education at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: university of sydney green paper